CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

To Be A Mother





I am learning to submit to motherhood.  Yes, I used the S word.  Submit.  I want you to know girls, when you are older & possibly mothers yourselves, that I made a conscience decision & effort to be a mother.  The word MOTHER involves a lot of definitions - biological, adoptive, spiritual - to name a few.  I have the privilege and joy of being your biological mother who has made a commitment to make you, my family, my priority.  I am choosing to invest in you, be consistent with you, train you in a Godly way, and basically submit to what it means to be a full complete mother.  I will fail you, I will have to apologize for mistakes, I will get annoyed, side-tracked, I will need a few time outs, I am NOT perfect & I will NOT try to be Super-Mom.  But I do commit to pray for you, and try to seek God's wisdom & discernment so that I can raise you in love & to the best of my ability.  It's gonna be hard - and take a long time - and I'll want to quit.  But I won't - you are worth it, daughters of the MOST HIGH.  You are worth it.  I write this now when you are 6,4,2,1,1 - and you may read this when you are 18 or more - and I hope you will feel encouraged, inspired, not alone.

I felt inspired to write this today, because we had a GREAT day.  And yesterday was a BAD day.  I am sure there will more of each.  One of the things we did today was paper mache.  We made a royal mess - and had a blast.  I sat down & did the project with you.  I didn't clean the house or just help or watch, but I participated.  It was wonderful.  I will try to participate more & smile as I clean up the mess - it was worth it - so worth it!
Love, mommy.

7 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

I really enjoyed this.....there *IS* so much to the word mother......glad you felt inspired to write this.

Shannon said...

Beautiful post. It captures the essence of motherhood, the good, bad, hard, rewarding. I am sure your girls will appreciate these words some day and what a wonderful mama they have!

Jaime said...

I absolutely love this post! I need to do these kind of activities more often and with that kind of attitude.

Christian and Christen said...

you are amazing, Tracy. Loved this. Oh to set aside and the cleaning and just be with them... I am challenged!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i feel like i might be your long lost twin...i have 4 girls of my own. i love this post...and i don't try and fake it either. love, love love my girls too! thanks for sharing

Karen said...

I needed to read this today. it was beautifully said. When I am crazy with just my 2 I should always think of you.

Debra said...

Thanks for the reminder. I need to participate more with my kids. But don't you love mommy time outs?